Thursday, June 11, 2009

Southern Suppertime and Welcome Y'all!

I was inspired early this week to begin a recipe blog. It's quite fitting since I love to cook and bake. Growing up, I never had to cook--my mama did all the cooking in the house. Sure, there were times I helped, but I'll confess, I had NO IDEA what I was doing if I was on my own.

I was sort of "thrown" into cooking actually............(if you read my other blog, Surrounded-By-Boys, you'll know I have all sorts of stories)....here's one now......

My mama passed away when I was 20. Yes, I still lived at home because I was in college at the time and actually enjoyed living at home. (also because even though I had a serious boyfriend, we were not engaged or married so home was my option)

Seriously. Where else could you eat for free, do laundry for free, and have no bills? HOME. Anyhow. My mama did ALL the cooking in our house. My daddy would do Sunday breakfast, but let's face it, mama did the meat and potatoes (and everything in between). She packed my lunch until the day I graduated high school. See what I mean by everything?

Anyhow--when she passed away (southerners hate the word died, it's too permanent, it's much easier to say "passed away" cause that only means they are waiting on the other side!), I was thrown into cooking. Mind you, I didn't cook every night nor did I cook on a regular basis, but I did cook.

To this day, I've never burnt anything (knock on wood). I'm not sayin' that I haven't cooked one or two things that look great in a picture and turn out disgusting, but that's just life, honey.
(hmmm...that might be another blog post) Sidetracked. Sorry.

Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who is NOT picky at all and will at least try everything I make. Thankfully, (for his sake, not mine) he's only ever said that one thing was disgusting (and I thought so too, so that worked out just fine). He enjoys my cooking and many days, will join me in the kitchen (when it's not watermelon season, soybean season, peanut season, hunting season, football season, you get the picture season) and help. He's a great cook too!

So......all that to say, that this blog won't be updated every day (as if you thought it would?!? ha!) and it probably won't be a spectacular showing. BUT. It means a whole lot to me and I hope you'll join me at least weekly for Southern Suppertime. Welcome Y'all.

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to see what you have to share next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what recipes you share, Charon. Goodness knows I am always looking for something new to try. Thank goodness we both have husbands who are not picky. Adam just loves food! It doesn't matter what it is as long as there's a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep blogging I enjoyed reading yours! I know I will enjoy your southern suppers also! Sharon

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoy the recipes and tips!